Saturday Group Swim at Porteau Cove (2024-01-13)
Time and Place
This swim takes place at Porteau Cove Provincial Park. We will meet at 9:45am – 9:50am and plan to be in the water by 10:00am. Please allow yourself a few minutes to park, get ready, and sign in before the mandatory safety briefing at 9:55am sharp. If you miss the safety briefing at 9:55am you will not be allowed to swim with us. See below for additional location and parking info.
There will be a couple of different swim options. Reminder the water is chilly, please be mindful and get out of the water long before you get too cold:
– Option 1 (dip): the water gets gradually deeper close to shore, which makes for a nice place to dip! Stay in as long as you like. Most folks will be dipping!
– Option 2 (swim around dive buoys): swim from the beach out and around the dive buoys if you have been practicing in cold water.
There are no lifeguards at this beach. There is the possibility for motorized boat traffic, but it is unlikely to come too close to our swimming area. Paddlers and divers are also common at this location. Please remember to swim within your own abilities. Be sure to get out of the water long before you get too cold or exhausted.
Each swimmer is responsible for their own choice of gear, but here are some suggestions:
– A swimsuit or swim apparel of choice (no judgement)
– A wetsuit (optional)
– A brightly-coloured swim cap or hat/toque (cap included with your membership)
– A loud whistle (mandatory; available for $5 at our swims)
– Goggles and ear plugs (optional)
– A brightly-coloured tow-float (recommended)
– Snacks and water
Once you get out of the water, you might want:
– A large towel or two
– A mat or extra towel for standing on while getting changed
– A dry-robe, towel robe, or just a big towel for getting changed under
– Loose clothing that’s easy to pull on when you’re slightly damp. Buttons, zippers, or other fussy things that are difficult to use with numb fingers are not recommended
– Water shoes, crocs, or flip flops
– A warm drink
– A snack
Getting Here and Parking
This location is best accessed by car. Heading south on the Sea to Sky Highway from Squamish, look for a short right turning lake (signs for Porteau Cove) to turn into the park. Keep right at every available opportunity and park in the main parking lot (not the camping area). Parking is free.
About the Location
This beach is mostly rocky with a gradual beach entry at low tide, or a stairs entry at high tide. The water tends to be fairly clear, expect the usual sea life. We will meet at the north beach on your right as you drive in. Here is the location.
There are public flush toilets at the parking lot. Consider bringing your own toilet kit with toilet paper and hand sanitizer. You may also want to arrive dressed and ready to swim.