2024 Polar Bear Dip at Mamquam Blind Channel (2024-01-01)
Celebrate the start of 2024 with Swim Wild Squamish! Bring your friends and family and join the Swim Wild community in downtown Squamish for the first dip of 2024!
Please note there is another polar bear dip at Porteau Cove Provincial Park at 12:00pm. Feeling adventurous? Do both! More info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/654349780106935
Time and Place
This cold water dip takes place in the Mamquam Blind Channel in Downtown Squamish. We will meet at the beach just east of the intersection of Main Street and Loggers Lane at 9:45am and plan to be in the water by 10:00am. Please allow yourself a few minutes to park, get ready.
This beach is a short walk from the car, and with the cool temperatures at this time of year we will dip rather than swim. The water gets gradually deeper close to shore, which makes for a nice place to dip! Stay in as long as you like.
Reminder that there are no lifeguards at this beach. Please remember to swim within your own abilities. Be sure to get out of the water long before you get too cold or exhausted.
Each swimmer is responsible for their own choice of gear, but here are some suggestions:
- A swimsuit or swim apparel of choice (no judgement)
- A wetsuit (optional)
- A brightly-coloured swim cap or hat (mandatory; included with your membership)
- A loud whistle (mandatory; available for $5 at our swims)
- Goggles and ear plugs (optional)
- A brightly-coloured tow-float (recommended)
Once you get out of the water, you might want:
- A large towel or two
- A mat or extra towel for standing on while getting changed
- A dry-robe, towel robe, or just a big towel for getting changed under
- Loose clothing that’s easy to pull on when you’re slightly damp. Buttons, dippers, or other fussy things that are difficult to use with numb fingers are not recommended
- Water shoes, crocs, or flip flops
- A warm drink
- A snack
Getting Here and Parking
This location is best accessed by walking, bike or car. From the Sea to Sky Highway turn onto Cleveland Ave. From there, turn left onto Pemberton Ave and then right onto Loggers Lane. The parking lot will be on your left at the intersection of Loggers Lane and Main Street.
About the Location
From the parking lot, take a short walk down to the Mamquam Blind Channel to find a small beach. It’s perfect for dipping! This is where we meet.
There are washrooms across the street in Junction Park. In case the washroom building is closed, you may also want to arrive dressed and ready to swim.