2023 Polar Bear Swim at Porteau Cove (2023-01-01)
We are joining the Squamish 2023 Polar Bear Swim! Bring your friends and family and join the Swim Wild Squamish community for the first swim of 2023!!! It would be awesome to see lots of bright green “Swim Wild Squamish” swim caps out there too so remember to bring yours. Join us!
Please note that this is a public community event and not an official Swim Wild Squamish group swim.
Time and Place
This swim takes place at Porteau Cove Marine Park at 12:00pm.
More information about the 2022 Polar Bear Swim can be found online here. Be sure to share the event page with friends and family. The Facebook event page will have the most up-to-date information about the Polar Bear Swim.
Reminder that there are no lifeguards at this beach. Please remember to swim within your own abilities. Be sure to get out of the water long before you get too cold or exhausted.
Each swimmer is responsible for their own choice of gear, but here are some suggestions:
- A swimsuit or swim apparel of choice (no judgement)
- A wetsuit (optional)
- A brightly-coloured swim cap or hat (mandatory; included with your membership)
- A loud whistle (mandatory; available for $5 at our swims)
- Goggles and ear plugs (optional)
- A brightly-coloured tow-float (recommended)
Once you get out of the water, you might want:
- A large towel or two
- A mat or extra towel for standing on while getting changed
- A dry-robe, towel robe, or just a big towel for getting changed under
- Loose clothing that’s easy to pull on when you’re slightly damp. Buttons, dippers, or other fussy things that are difficult to use with numb fingers are not recommended
- Water shoes, crocs, or flip flops
- A warm drink
- A snack
Getting Here and Parking
This location is best accessed by car. Heading south on the Sea to Sky Highway from Squamish, look for a short right turning lake (signs for Porteau Cove) to turn into the park. Keep right at every available opportunity and park in the main parking lot (not the camping area). Parking is free.
About the Location
This beach is mostly rocky with a gradual beach entry at low tide, or a stairs entry at high tide. The water tends to be fairly clear, but expect the usual sea life. We will meet at the north beach on your right as you drive in. Here is the location.
There is a fully equipped washroom building in the parking lot area.