Saturday Group Dip at Mamquam Blind Channel (2023-03-11)
Check out this awesome winter dip location in downtown Squamish. Join us for coffee and a donut afterwards too!
Time and Place
This cold water dip takes place in the Mamquam Blind Channel in Downtown Squamish. We will meet at the beach just east of the intersection of Main Street and Loggers Lane at 9:45am and plan to be in the water by 10:00am. Please allow yourself a few minutes to park, get ready, and sign in before the mandatory safety briefing at 9:55am sharp. If you miss the safety briefing at 9:55am , you will not be allowed to swim with us. See below for additional location and parking info.
This beach is a short walk from the car, and with the cool temperatures at this time of year we will dip rather than swim. The water gets gradually deeper close to shore, which makes for a nice place to dip! Stay in as long as you like.
There are no lifeguards at this beach. Swimming wild is an amazing experience, but it’s not without risk. This is how we manage it:
- We swim within our own abilities, and need to be honest with ourselves about our abilities if we decide to venture out of our depth. We want to be out of the water long before we get too cold or exhausted
- We swim with a buddy, and check in regularly to see how each other is doing
- We each carry a whistle. If anything happens, you can signal for help
- We each wear a brightly-coloured swim cap (such as your SWS member cap!). This makes us easy to spot. A brightly-coloured tow float is also highly recommended, and can be great to hold on to when having a break out in the deep water
- We will sign in before the safety briefing and sign out before we leave. If we don’t sign out, the volunteers will call us, then our emergency contact, then the first responders. This is incredibly important to make sure we can account for everyone
- We will have a first aid kit and at least one person trained in first aid present at every swim. However, this first aid person may be in the water and will not necessarily be able to respond promptly. We may also be far away from the kit if you decide to do one of swims across the lake
Each swimmer is responsible for their own choice of gear, but here are some suggestions:
- A swimsuit or swim apparel of choice (no judgement)
- A wetsuit (optional)
- A brightly-coloured swim cap or hat (mandatory; included with your membership)
- A loud whistle (mandatory; available for $5 at our swims)
- Goggles and ear plugs (optional)
- A brightly-coloured tow-float (recommended)
Once you get out of the water, you might want:
- A large towel or two
- A mat or extra towel for standing on while getting changed
- A dry-robe, towel robe, or just a big towel for getting changed under
- Loose clothing that’s easy to pull on when you’re slightly damp. Buttons, dippers, or other fussy things that are difficult to use with numb fingers are not recommended
- Water shoes, crocs, or flip flops
- A warm drink
- A snack
Getting Here and Parking
This location is best accessed by walking, bike or car. From the Sea to Sky Highway turn onto Cleveland Ave. From there, turn left onto Pemberton Ave and then right onto Loggers Lane. The parking lot will be on your left at the intersection of Loggers Lane and Main Street.
About the Location
From the parking lot, take a short walk down to the Mamquam Blind Channel to find a small beach. It’s perfect for dipping! This is where we meet.
There are washrooms across the street in Junction Park. In case the washroom building is closed, you may also want to arrive dressed and ready to swim.